Artist Statement"Fight The Rise features two endangered Roseate Terns in conversation amidst the elements that most threaten them; sea level rise and coastal over-development. The population of these terns is falling precipitously, as are those of so many other shorebirds and songbirds here in the Boston area. ⠀
I hope that these terns – at such an exaggerated scale and with their striking black and white plumage and intense gazes – will be effective messengers, asserting that we can, and must, slow the process of climate change and the pace of reckless development. I send them to my neighbors in East Boston, whose homes and health are also acutely threatened by these same factors, as a sign of hope and also an invitation to work together toward brighter days." – Josie Morway
FocusCoastal Development and Sea Level Rise
Take ActionSupport local ecosystems by:
• Reducing your carbon footprint.
• Advocate for conservation efforts, and voice your opinion to your town/city/state government and elected leaders
• (Help your parents) vote for ocean-minded candidates.
• Choose sustainable seafood that is lower on the food chain (think sardines over tuna). Check out these guides!
• Choosing reusable and compostable goods over less sustainable materials.