Artist StatementThese walls took inspiration from the vast, colorful and cosmic nature of the marine life in the oceans and the greenery of the mountains in Maui. Similar to the real world, the walls hold bright and vibrant colors which are then juxtaposed with greyscale typography to indicate the danger and decay that both oceans and land are facing.
What is critical to note is that every living being on this earth is interconnected, whether on land or in the sea. Therefore it’s crucial we take action to preserve “Mauka to Makai” and everything in between.
The FocusMauka to makai
- Bring your own! Say no to single-use plastics.
- Eat as local as possible.
- Reduce your carbon footprint and energy consumption.
- Make sustainable seafood choices.
Vote for the environment and call your representatives.
- Educate yourself about what’s happening to our oceans.